Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Poem: Become

This is me (Steve Emig) doing a footplant to 180 on my bike, what skateboarders then called a "No comply."  I rode with skaters at the Huntington Beach Pier nearly every weekend in the late 1980's and early 1990's, and I would often play "SKATE" against them, on my bike.  It's like playing "HORSE" in basketball, so I would have to try to do skate tricks on my bike.  This is one of them, from a 2-Hip Meet the Street contest in La Jolla, California in 1989.  The video is by Eddie Roman, and I did the sketchy TV stills.  This is me, on my way to becoming a mediocre BMX freestyler in the 1980's and 1990's.  The sequence continues below the poem. 

Become

You must risk

If you're to succeed

For when you grow

Sometimes you bleed

Each must climb

Over the fence

For the only cage

Is ignorance

Each Jedi knight

And Shaolin monk

Evolved from

A lowly punk

Don't get caught

In the world's throws

We must become

Our own heroes

-The White Bear 

(written about 1992-93)






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gift of Inspiration

"Art is not what you see, it's what you make others see." -Edgar Degas  This story was written yesterday.  I am a homeless ma...